Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Made Hollandaise & Artichokes

I actually didn't make artichokes but rather steamed them.  Using "Made" as the beginning of all my posts is not typically difficult when I have made a sandwich, casserole, dessert or dip.  But you can't really "make" an artichoke - it just grows.  Anyone with me?!

I think artichokes are an interesting vegetable and quite lovely.  In the home of a sweet Tyler friend years ago, I witnessed the display of artichokes in such a neat way.  She had a long, narrow, hand-carved wooden bowl for the artichoke display.  She carved out the center of the artichoke to fit a slender, votive-sized candle.  For the artichoke to act as a candle-holder she of course had to chop off the stem and create a flat surface on the bottom-side of the artichoke.  If I could draw, I would sketch and scan a picture for you but I am hoping you can just imagine it.  She placed several artichokes, with the candles fitting into the center, and arranged in the wooden bowl for a centerpiece.  Not sure how long the table display kept but it was beautiful.

So they are pretty but how do you cook them?  I had no idea so went to the web and found this great step-by-step resource on How To Cook and Eat an Artichoke.  I was not willing to take a self pic with an artichoke leaf in my mouth so check out the steps and pictures in the link.  Other than artichokes, all you need is: water for boiling, a lemon slice, bay leaf and clove of garlic.

You can't eat artichokes without Hollandaise so I pulled a great recipe from our copy of the Bride and Groom First and Forever cookbook, which I have cooked out of before.  You can make this in a blender or stove-top.  I chose to use my great double-boiler pan and use the stove.

2 egg yolks
2 tsp. heavy cream at room temperature
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup butter (1 stick!!) unsalted butter, melted an heated until bubbling but not brown
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice (use the same lemon from your slice, for steaming the artichokes)
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
Sugar
Setup double-broiler as usual with water in the lower pan, heat to medium-high heat.  Put the egg yolks, cream 1/4 tsp. kosher salt and cayenne in top pan of double broiler.  Stir with whisk until frothy.

While continuing to stir, add the melted butter lemon juice and white wine vinegar.  Continue stirring until the sauce has doubled in thickness.  Three out of the four burners occupied is not typical but I kind of like it…

Turn your heat down to low to avoid scalding the sauce.  Remove from burner, cover and set aside for serving.

Ready to start dipping into the rich, buttery sauce.

This is what success looks like - a discard bowl from satisfied Madeleys.
Stay tuned for what was in the third pan and our main entree…easy, no recipe!!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy! The Hollandaise looks good enough to drink! And, yes, I remember Pam's artichoke display ... It was lovely. The wooden bowl was an antique dough bowl. The originals are quite expensive, but there are lots of reproductions on the market.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous! I watched Julie and Julia recently and noticed that Hollondaise and artichokes was one of the dishes she made, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just saw this post and you're going to laugh when you see my artichoke post to come. pics are very similar. i even took a pic in that same bowl with our "used" leaves. crazy! great minds think alike, and great palates cook alike i guess. you are an inspiration, friend! can't wait to try that pasta you just posted!

    ReplyDelete