Thursday, August 4, 2011

Made Beef & Bean Burritos

I will be catching up on several blog posts in the next few days - my kitchen has been busy and the dishwasher has been running.  Sometimes I get in a little over my head with the number of recipes I am wanting to try from so many great resources like the most recent issue of Real Simple, The Junior League of SanAntonio Cookbook and endless recipes from Pioneer Woman.  So my grocery list these days gets quite long and this week's trip I came home with three different types of meat which is not the norm.  Trying to do at least one more "involved" recipe per week and an easy one.  So 16-Minute Beef and Bean Burritos was my "easy".

By the way, the picture above is B's plate and he did not finish it all.  It is quite a bit of food so you could easily do one per person with a side of guacamole and chips.  Or don't fill the tortillas as full as I probably did in my excitement over the colorful meal.  This recipe makes 6 servings so you will have a ton of meat left and of course tortillas if you are cooking for two - just bought enough refried beans for 2 meals.

2 lbs. ground beed
1/2 whole medium onion
1 can chopped green chilies
1 (7 oz.) can Enchilada sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
Cumin, Oregano, Garlic Salt to taste
1 can refried beans
3/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
12 whole burrito-sized flour tortillas
Extra grated cheese, for sprinkling
Extra sauce, for drizzling
Cilantro leaves to top

Brown ground beef with onion and season to taste.  I added a few dashes of cumin, oregano and garlic salt along with a small can of chopped green chilies.  Pour in sauce and simmer over low heat.

Heat refried beans in a saucepan.  Add cheese and stir in till melted.  Keep warm.

Heat tortillas in microwave for one minute.

Spread a small amount of beans on each tortilla.  Add meat.  Fold over ends, then roll up.  Place two burritos on plate, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle cheese then microwave for one minute or until cheese is melted.  Top with cilantro and serve!!

This would be a great, casual meal to have friends over and you will have more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment