Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Made Creamy Pheasant from South Dakota

My friend, Elizabeth of Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box, and I were able to celebrate a sweet friend this weekend in West Texas.  I am thankful to have gotten to know this sweet Chef over the past year!  Elizabeth is the queen of cooking game and so this post is dedicated to her as she is an inspiration to all the wives out there cooking up what our men bring home from the fields.  Dove was the first game meat that I cooked with a few months ago and I tried something out of the box that did not turn out so great.  Next time I will go with the whole bacon, jalapeno and cheese popper.  I have redeemed myself with this tasty Creamy Pheasant dish and it was a huge success.  I know success when B asks, "can we have this every week?".

6 pheasant breast halves
Butter and vegetable oil
Flour with salt and pepper
1/2 c. onion
1/2 c. celery (optional)
1/2 c. mushrooms (optional)
Garlic seasoning to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz. chicken broth
2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. white wine
Dredge pheasant in flour mixture.  Brown in skillet with oil and butter.  Be sure to use vegetable oil as EVOO does not work as well.  Put aside in baking dish.  Saute onion and mushrooms in same skillet that you used to brown the pheasant.  I left the celery out since it is not a favorite in our house unless served with peanut butter.

 After the vegetables are cooked through, add soup, chicken broth and simmer.

Add sour cream, yes 2 cups!!!  I have NEVER used a 16 oz. container of sour cream in anything….maybe this is why it has been requested as a weekly dish.

 Pour over pheasant - cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.  

 Add wine to sauce and return to oven for 15 minutes.  

Please serve with some sort of vegetable so you can mentally feel better about all of the sour cream!!

What I would do next time:
Saute minced garlic with the onions and mushrooms vs. garlic "seasoning"

A special thanks to my favorite hunters, my FAVORITE pictured in the middle, that braved the South Dakota temperatures to bring home tasty birds!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so creamy and delicious! I've never cooked with pheasant before but have always wanted to. Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete