Sunday, July 15, 2018

Key Lime Icebox Pie & Cancer

B & L Day 2
Samantha (11 months), Lucy 5 years, Allie 3 years

We don't even know where to begin...so how about 3 little girls in maroon...what?!  Stay tuned for some green & gold on those babies.  First of all, we love you!  We are grateful for the hands and feet of Christ, the body of Christ - YOU!  Our parents are overwhelmed and blown away at the immediate  depth of support we have already received.  Your prayers, calls, texts, emails, Scriptures, songs are sustaining us.  We are clinging to Truth as we find ourselves on just day 3.  Oh and did you all know that I had a blog??  Yes it's true....at one time I took pictures of everything I made mostly in the early days of our marriage when B was treated to partial-gourmet meals on a weekly basis. So go back and find yourself a nice weeknight meal...it might not be a "30-minute meal" but your hubby will appreciate it.  We have moments of laughter like now as we sit in bed listening to music and recapping our day of conversations with many of you.  We want to take this time now to communicate again our thanks but also clearly communicate where we are at today with the journey ahead.

Here is a timeline snapshot to sync up:

July 4th - I found a large lump in my left breast
July 5th - Began to treat the lump like a clogged milk duct (as I recently had reduced nursing to twice/day).  Scheduled an appointment for Tuesday, 7/10, with the Dr. Harris, my wonderful OB/Gyn
July 6-9th -  Brian and I got away with Lucy and Allie to Big Cedar
July 10th - Appointment with Dr. Harris.  Cyst ruled out after in-office sonogram.  Mammogram ordered and scheduled for Thursday, 7/12
July 12th - Mammogram, Sonogram and received the news that I have breast cancer (approximately 4in.) in my left breast*
July 13th - Biopsy of the mass to determine cancer type and grade.
Today - We are expecting results early next week

*We were hoping the mammogram would clearly show a calcification that had developed due to blocked milk duct.  The mammogram was coupled with a more in depth sonogram to rule out any possibly alternatives to cancer.

We are in shock.  We are devastated by the news.  We have been able to cry together, cry with friends but also enjoy sweet, fun times with friends and family filling our home!

We have seen the Lord's hand in so many of the details and are hearing Him clearly speak through His people.  This passage has been consistently laid on your hearts to encourage us and it is our anthem cry (Isaiah 43:1-7):

Israel’s Only Savior
43 But now, this is what the Lord says—
    he who created you, Jacob,
    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
    Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
    and because I love you,
I will give people in exchange for you,
    nations in exchange for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
    I will bring your children from the east
    and gather you from the west.
I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
    and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
Bring my sons from afar
    and my daughters from the ends of the earth
everyone who is called by my name,
    whom I created for my glory,
    whom I formed and made. 
We covet your prayers and encouragement as you walk alongside us.  Here are a few specific ways you can pray as we await the results of the biopsy.

  • Lucy, Allie and Samantha's hearts in understanding as they are beginning to see a change in routine in their own ways.  That they feel uninterrupted love and care.
  • Thinking on Truth and taking every thought captive.  To live in today and not the unknown of tomorrow.  
  • For the Lord to strengthen our marriage as we go into the unknown.  We are grateful for the foundation the past 8 years (August 7th) has provided us.
  • To sustain our parents and siblings as their hearts break with us and they care for all 5 of us

We will use this blog to communicate with you as well as other means as it is necessary.  And please feel free to communicate with us as we post.
You may also have been in contact with our "Executive Admin" - Emily Goodin and/or
"Madeley Communications Director" - Maggie Mayfield...they are helping to carry of the load of communication and coordinating needs.  Even typing that we are humbled by the service of so many of you to our family!

P.S. - B wanted to included a link to the Aggie War Hymn but I vetoed that...

And just in case you are wanting a recipe too...here is my last gourmet creation made July 3rd

Key Lime Icebox Pie 

All our love,
Brian, Lauren, Lucy, Allie and Sami 

5 comments:

  1. Sarah just let me know so I can join in praying. I'll be following along from Virginia and praying for all that you request. I know God will uphold you all as you walk this road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! We love your sweet family! B&L

      Delete
  2. Love you so, sweet friend. Target is officially our spot for you. Jeff and I prayed out loud for you in the target parking lot in NC as we were overcome for you. Now anytime I go to a target I’m praying. A big part of my prayer will be for your girls...that the routine trips to Target and special parts of their life{the ones they value most} are kept sacred with their mama. -Linde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spent several minutes alone in my spa on Saturday after you and Mandy left, praying and lifting you up.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you, Lauren and your precious family. We have prayed many times already for you and be assured that we will be praying for you in the coming weeks and months as you give us specific requests. You have already done as God asks of us— you have acted in dependence on him. I love the scriptures you have claimed! Continue to lean into him with all your being and trust him for his provision. God is trustworthy! I know from my own cancer experience that the Holy Spirit will speak clearly to you in all things big and small when you call upon the Lord. Praying for your specific requests.

    ReplyDelete