Thursday, December 22, 2011

Made Butternut Squash Soup

iphone photos are what happens when you forget your fancy camera on the kitchen counter before leaving town.  I did have fun being creative with mac photo booth though!  I am really hoping this soup turns out as good as it tasted at my sister-in-law's house last week.  Thanks for the taste-test, ET!  It was AMAZING and I have built it up to B so I better deliver.  Between Cabbage Rolls last night (sorry no post) and Butternut Squash today I am taking some risks.

1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
1 tbsp. olive oil and extra for roasting
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. diced onion
3/4 c. diced carrot
3 c. chicken stock (or vegetable if you prefer)
1/2 c. heavy cream
Nutmeg to taste
Salt & pepper to taste

Peel, seed and dice the butternut squash.  Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, until soft.  After roasted, set aside.

 Not time for the nutmeg yet but I got excited about shaving fresh nutmeg.  The smell is incredible!

Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat.  Stir in onions and carrots and cook until until tender.
Pour 3 cups chicken stock.  Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste and bring to a boil.  Make sure veggies are tender.
In a large food processor, puree the roasted squash.   

Add the stock mixture to the food processor and blend until smooth.  Make sure your food processor is big enough to handle the amount of liquid.  I have an 11 cup and it was perfect.

Pour the full mixture back into your stock pot and add the 1/2 cup cream.  I actually used milk and then added a large serving spoon of cream.  Heat but do NOT boil.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment