Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Partial Biopsy Results

Today as many of you know and have been praying for, we received partial results from Lauren's biopsy last Friday.  We are encouraged by the results.  It is cancer but not what they were most fearful of.

The following is the cancer cell type and not the "receptor type" which will determine actual treatment.  The cancer is ductal carcinoma grade 2 surrounded by DCIS.  Basically, Invasive cancer surrounded by non-invasive cancer.  Dr. Shah (our radiologist at Baylor Scott & White) was encouraged, he thought it would be worse.

He said it’s the most common type in young women and nothing unusual.

My Dad cried when we told him and said while it’s still serious, it’s not dismal news and not a hurdle that’s insurmountable.  (My Dad is an Internist at Baylor for those of you who may not know)  

Treatment is still unknown due to the unknown receptor type (what’s feeding it).  This piece will most likely come back when we return from our trip.  We will see our breast surgeon first, Dr. Grant followed by Medical Oncology.  Our team of medical professionals are already working on the coordination of everything and told us to relax while we are away. 

Lamentations 3:23 has been on my mind over the past week.  “...His mercies are new every morning.” And this morning was no exception!

This journey has been such a roller coaster.   

I am wrestling with being both relieved and reminding myself we still have a road to hoe with cancer.  It almost felt as though Dr. Shah’s words had me running to we are free and clear which isn’t the case.  

It’s “strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow” from the hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness".

Thank you for praying and beginning this journey with us.  We have seen God's hand so clearly interwoven into the details of who is caring for us to who was sitting on the plane next to Lauren today.  

We love each and every one of you!

Brian

8 comments:

  1. Praise God. Praying you two can truly rest and relax while you are away. Continued prayers for a really tolerable course of treatment and for you to be able to fully engage with the girls. Hugs! -Linde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hearts are just right there with you guys. So heavy, so sad, and so hopeful. Praising God with you through all of this. Alycia and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Houston is Praying with you...The Youngs (all of us)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian and Lauren, we are praying for you both and your girls as you navigate these waters. May the Lord be your strength, comfort, and joy each day! Sending lots of love, Kim and Eric Moore

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love His promise, “......I know the plans I have for your”. Thank goodness He has all of the future covered ( for all of us). My prayer for you five, is that through this experience you will have a sense of peace & strength like non other. I pray for those who will minister to you all through every single medical touch & technic. And I pray for all those who are in support of you-family, friends, church family, etc.
    As you return home, I know you will hit the ground running & Jesus will scoop you up in His arms so you will be able to think clearly. Lauren, I am praying for you as you proceed with the plan for your treatment and healing .
    I send my love to you-Your Houston Cousins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your family! Melissa Hill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you both and your whole family!
    Just know the prayer warriors are praying for complete healing from this horrible disease cancer. We hope to see you at church soon and give your beautiful wife a hug
    Love, Roxann and Raymond Eaton

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, I ask by my faith that you would bring healing to Lauren from this cancer. I placed my truest in you many many times in past. God, you were always with me. I would place my truest in you this time too. God please bring healing into every area where the tumor has emerged. God, may this healing grow into a strong work, redeeming and restoring with great strength and power for Lauren.

    My family and I Continue prying for you and your entire family,


    Blessing,

    Gheed Alhyali

    ReplyDelete